Friday, December 9, 2011

2011 911 Slugfest

In 2010 I was invited to take photos of the police and fireman 911 Slugfest boxing match held in Indianapolis by a good friend named Keith Boggs. Kurt Spivey a Indianapolis policeman is the promoter of this event along with the help of Keith. Fireman and Policeman from Indianapolis and the surrounding areas are invited to participate in boxing match for charity. If you haven't ever attended one of these event you should it’s a lot of fun and great comradely.

I arrived that night along with my friend Brad Dubois and sought out Keith to get our credentials. Once we obtain them Keith took us over to the ring side were we could set up for the fight.  Once we got set up Keith introduced us to his fighter a X Colts player.  He informed me that they couldn’t find any fireman  that wanted to fight him so at the last minute they found an outsider that was willing to step in the ring with him. As you can see he's a big boy. Keith was very impressed on how quickly he picked up the techniques. 
After a few fights there was a one fighter probably wished he hadn't fought that night. He got knocked out of the ring and got knocked out. After a few minutes he got up and back in the ring to throw in the towel. You know what I thought was pretty cool was how both the police and firemen went to help him and how everyone was so concerned. After this fight the officials made me move in order to protect me from a fighter landing on me. I understood but man that really hindered my ability to shoot.    
"CAMERA TALK"
Now lets talk photography. First the contents of my photo bag.
Nikon D700
Nikon D300
Nikon 70-200 f/2.8
Nikon 24-70 f/2.8

I found out the in this event I didn't need the 70-200 lens. I shot 99% with the 24-70. When I shoot events like this I always shoot in Manual and start out with the lowest ISO possible along with shutter speed usually ISO of 800 and shutter speed at 250. Your f/stop will need to be wide open at f/2.8 if you have it.

As I mentioned above I brought my Nikon D700 with a Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 and my Nikon D300 with a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 in which I rarely used. These are two of the best lenses you could ask for in this type of situation. I played around a lot with the shutter speed all the way from 250-1000. If your not comfortable in Manual then set your camera on shutter speed and just play with the ISO and speed.

I've supplied a link to view all the photos shot that night at   2011 911 Slugfest   If you happen to be one of the fighters you will be able to down load them at no expense. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime. 

I would like to thank Kurt and Mike for allowing me to shoot this event. Thanks guys.

Denny Scott


Indianapolis Sports Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment